I'd describe Cairo as a "cash economy," but that doesn't quite describe it. Maybe a "small bill economy" would be more apt - everyone wants change here, and yet no one ever seems to have it.
Even if I've watched them just accept small bills from someone else, or if I'm standing in the bank and I can see the notes behind the counter.
Anyway, I found this note on one of my bills:
To dearest daughter Ayat - with best of wishes - M. Cebad 5-3-2005.
No doubt Ayat could have bought a lot more in 2005 with this twenty than she could now.
Most of the money here looks like it's been through a nuclear disaster, and it's unsettling to think how many hands these bills have moved among in their lifetimes. And what kind of stuff has gotten transferred onto them along the way.
Upon further reflection, some things are better not to think on.
1 comment:
Hubby always washes his hands after handling the money here. I dread to think what's on some of these bills. *shudder*
Post a Comment