I hate doing my taxes. Loathe it.
Part of it is the good ol' American outrage at having to give away money that I've earned through my own hard work. As a scientist who frequently benefits from federal and state funding, I find it incredibly ironic that I have to pay taxes to support my own salary. What is that???
The other ingredient in the mix is the fact that I'm a delicate, nutured, feminine flower ... that doesn't understand a thing about money and isn't motivated to learn.
I've never cared about money one way or the other, growing up or after becoming independent. I've never been rich, but there's always been enough to do what I want - generally - without worrying too much. My needs are modest, I haven't bought into material consumer culture, and generally there's enough to go around.
Likewise, I never studied finance, and I've never been much interested in understanding things like investments, mortgages, and the like. I'm not even a fan of banks - if I had my way, my money would be buried in the backyard, just next to the generator and the gun rack.
So today I'm trying to get my tax returns done before jetting off to parts exotic. This year should be easier, since I have a bona fide foreign residence. I've had a little trouble filling in the online form - do I put my W2 in twice, once as a W2 and once as foreign income - but the federal form went ok.
Then I started the NJ form. After much digging around - why isn't this easy? - I think I've discovered that NJ does not offer a foreign income exclusion. On top of that, the university's US address is in NY, so I'm not sure what's going to happen there.
I especially like the part in the NJ form where it says, "Income from sources both legal and illegal is subject to tax." Are you really going to report illegal income?? I love New Jersey!
After 20 minutes figuring this out, I attempted to complete the NJ form ... and the tax website went down for "routine system maintenance." Who schedules routine maintenance on a tax website less than a week before taxes are due???? It may be 5 am east coast, but some of us have additional needs!
Gaaaaaaaaah!
I am so going to jail. For stupidity.
Thursday, April 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You should have called me! (although I guess how would you have known...) If nothing else, when it comes to taxes, I ROCK! (After 10 years in Belgium, I could file taxes for AIG and they'd get a rebate!!!!)
Hi Tiff,
You continuously entertain me. You might actually be considered an employee in NY, and not NJ. (You pay income taxes based on where you earn your income). And yes, in theory, you're better off reporting income on illegal activities because the federal government HATES tax evasion, in general, a lot more than say, being a small time drug dealer. In fact, if the taxes you would owe based on your illegal activites are small, like just a few thousand dollars, the government will just keep a tally of them for you. As long as you file, you won't get charged with tax evasion, but if you don't file, then when you do get caught, they'll just add that to the list. (Not that I would consider it "small time," but Al Capone was charged with and convicted of tax evasion--that's why he was in Alcatraz)
Taxes suck. As former military and govt. employee I always thought it was very rude to have to pay back money from my salary, to pay my salary... it seemed very sleazy and underhanded. Why didn't they just keep it, instead of pulling this give and take trick on me? oh well...
Taxact.com is a good website.
Post a Comment