Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Not a good sign

This is not how I wanted to start my day:


When I went into the kitchen this morning to feed the savages, I heard these tiny cries coming from very close by. I opened up the door to my back landing - the garbage chute - and I found three tiny kittens in a tupperware container next to my trash can.

Of course I don't want them - I can't have 5 cats! - but listening to them scream and then deciding to do nothing was something I just couldn't do. So I left them out there for awhile and tried to ignore them, but after more than an hour of crying their mother hadn't materialized. Against my better judgment, I picked them up and brought them inside.


I've called the calvary - the woman who gave me Zanzibar and India - and I'm trying to figure out what to do with these cats. We're getting ready to feed them baby formula from a syringe, and I'm trying to get in touch with an animal rescue agency in Maadi. If I can just hand them off to someone who knows what they're doing, I'll feel like I did the right thing. There's nothing I can do if they die, and I'm not responsible for saving every cat in Cairo.

Right?

Oh, yeah, and I supposed to be at work. Not struggling over newborns whose eyes aren't even open yet. They're less than 10 days old, and I'm all that stands between them and the hereafter.

Not a good sign for anyone.

1 comment:

MsTypo said...

Did you ever find otu who left them? :(