Sunday, February 22, 2009

Kenyan kissing

Doesn't have as nice a ring as "French kissing," does it? But let me tell you, Kenyan kissing involves a lot more tongue.
Link

A lot.

On our last day in Kenya back in December, we made shockingly good time between Masai Mara and Nairobi. No idea why - I'm pretty sure the government hadn't suddenly decided to pave the roads. But suddenly we were in Nairobi with plenty of time before lunch and the trip to the airport, so on the advice of our driver (and a friend) we headed over to the Langata Giraffe Center.

The giraffe center seemed a bit kidsy at first glance, but the information center was filled with surprisingly detailed biological and ecological information about Rothschild giraffes. And best of all, the information center was elevated - putting us right at eye level with the family of giraffes living at the center.

By the way, if you're looking to spend some money, the center also houses the Giraffe Manor, an old manor house on the property where - and get ready for this - the giraffes come and stick their heads in your window to see what you're doing. And to give you kisses.

Yes, kisses. It turns out you can actually trick these giraffes into slobbering on your face. I wasn't especially pleased by this idea, but KC got into the spirit of things and went first:


Even after seeing KC's gleeful face, I was still doubtful. Our center guide told me, helpfully, that giraffes have antiseptic tongues. I transfixed him with my most baleful glare and announced that I have a Ph.D. in molecular biology and there's no way I'm believing that nonsense. But KC kept insisting, so I finally placed the feed pellet between my teeth and leaned forward. Here's the series of photos KC took of the kiss. Pay special attention to my face ....







Eeeeewwww! Seriously! Really, really gross.

And here's what it looks like from the receiving end ...



Think of that next time I come over to your house and you come to greet me at the door! Hah!

1 comment:

MsTypo said...

I'm very proud of you!! I lived in Nairobi for two years and visited the Giraffe Center more often than any adult should probably admit to. Yet i have never had a giraffe kiss. I always blamed it on Hubby being the jealous type. :p