I was trying to book a flight to London for KC's 30th birthday in March. As usual, I made my reservation on EgyptAir by phone and prepared to go to the office in Tahrir to pay.
Oddly, a few months ago I got a call on my mobile from EgyptAir to tell me ... I dunno, something ... and at the end the guy mentioned that the Tahrir office might be closing soon. But they'd call me and let me know.
Incidentally, this is a great example of the sometimes oddly personal service one gets in Egypt.
So this morning while I was finishing the reservation, I specifically asked if the Tahrir office was still open. Oh yes madame, I was assured fervently. So I strapped on my walking shoes and headed downtown to pay.
I get to the Nile Hilton office in Tahrir, and what do I find? Torn up marquis and papered-over windows. I felt like screaming. Instead I asked a nearby security guard where the office was now. He said, "Adly street."
I responded, "Fyn sharia Adly?" Where is Adly Street? He gestured vaguely away from the hotel. Oh Christ, I thought.
***Pertinent Cairo Gossip 1 : The EgyptAir office outside the Nile Hilton is kaput.
A friendly-looking Egyptian gentleman offered to walk me over to the new office because he was headed there too. I said ok, but when we passed the next guards he flashed what looked suspiciously like a guiding id card. I stopped dead, and asked him where exactly we were heading. I did not want to end up spending the day in his brother's papyrus/alabaster/perfume shop.
When sufficiently detailed information was not forthcoming, I said goodbye and walked over to the yellow cab stand to get a ride over to the Mohandesin office of EgyptAir.

During the drive over, the driver, who spoke refreshingly good English, told me that not only was the EgyptAir office there closed, but the hotel was no longer a Hilton and would be shutting down soon, possibly for renovations, but possibly for good. And sure enough, on our way back to Garden City, I noticed that the sign doesn't say "Nile Hilton" anymore, only "Nile Hotel."
***Pertinent Cairo Gossip 2 : The Nile Hilton is kaput too!
I think I've set foot in the Nile Hilton about twice, but in this country, any change is surprising.
1 comment:
Dude, you are so out of the loop you can't even see it from where you are :-)
The Nile Hilton was sold and is going to become a Ritz hotel
http://www.businesstodayegypt.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=8310
Post a Comment