Saturday, January 10, 2009

Tomorrow, hat trick

Late tomorrow night I'm going for my travel hat trick: I'm heading to India for 10 days.

With my parents.

[sigh]

Insha'allah everything will be splendid and I'll be grateful for this trip for the rest of my life. My parents are wonderful people and I love them very much.

We've already had the "I'm 30 years old and you guys both snore, I'm not sharing a room" talk. Didn't go smoothly, but I've got my own room waiting for me at the Marriott.

Tonight's conversation highlights:

"Be sure to bring some money." Nah, I thought I'd skip it this time.

"Do you think you can get to the hotel by yourself?" Yes, yes I do. I'm a big girl.

"We'll call you when we get in at midnight." Actually, don't. I intend to be sleeping.

For the past 3 weeks, my father has been giving me "travel tips," casting pearls before my swinish reluctance to paint myself as both inexperienced and an idiot. You know, things about toilet paper, and haggling, and taking taxis by myself. Things that I clearly have no experience doing on my own. Every day. In Egypt.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, dear readers, and send happy calming patient thoughts my way.

And gin. Lots of gin.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Enjoy your trip! Be careful! And remember what they say; "one moment of patience, ten years of peace"...

Unknown said...

Good luck double-Oh-vorg. I'll be thinking good, calming, "Don't kill them, they are my parents" thoughts. Have a great time, regardless.