Saturday, November 1, 2008

Still got it

I was just unpacking my groceries in the kitchen when India lunged from the table onto my chest and wrapped her arms around my neck.

Three billion years of evolution went screaming through my body.

Red alert!!! Red alert!!! Recently mutilated carnivore is lunging at my face and she's got her arms around my neck!! Danger Danger DANGER!!!!

Then she licked my cheek and nuzzled her face against mine.

I broke out into a cold sweat and thought, Oh my God, she's just being affectionate.

My searingly clear vision of my body on the floor, surrounded by tomatoes and green beans, with India worrying my neck, her white fur turning pink ... faded away.

Good to know the ol' fight-or-flight response still works. Reckon I'll need it in Kenya in a few weeks. Maybe India was just trying to help.

1 comment:

MsTypo said...

Where in Kenya are you headed? How long? Nairobi was our last assignment. :)