Wednesday, March 19, 2008

More food thoughts

A friend of a friend passing through Cairo offered me these great insights on food in Cairo, which I thought I'd share with you guys ....

Ok, so I have to add some additional tidbits to my original email. Wow, for a city with no food, I've eaten remarkably well! Thanks Tiffany for getting me started :)
1) The Eggplant Fatta at Taboula is a must-have dish. Exquisitely rich, it is not quite the traditional fatta, but was cooked perfectly and had a perfect balance of sweet, smoky, and sour. They also have the best hummus in the city with a hint of fresh parsley and bursting with bright lemon flavor.
2) The "saniwichet mixt" at Felfala was phenomenal. Each time I've gotten it, it's been different, but equally good. Just don't try and eat two for lunch unless you're really hungry. They are deceptively filling for a small pita sandwich.
3) In retrospect, it's so worth going to Del Al Amar just for the foul (fuul). It's by far (order of magnitude) the best in town, and there really wasn't a mezze I had there that was less than stellar. Mostly because they used at least 80 bulbs of garlic for each dish, but it worked well. The garlic lebne made me want to cry tears of joy (I do have a penchant for lebne).
4) I never did make it to the Bird Cage, but Sabbaya was quite a fun experience. It's a little pricey, but nice. It's the one place where service was impeccable. The stuffed vine leaves were my favorite dish here.
5) Abou El Sid was different and fun, albiet a bit too dark for trying to stay awake after a long day at the Pyramids. Both the stuffed pigeon and the molokyyia were nice, and the mezze were some of the best in the city. The baba ganoush was the best I've ever had. They also had the best strawberry juice ever. Must have.

No comments: