Life in Princeton was an overwhelming blue/left ride, with people actually pulling their neighbors out of their houses and driving them to polling places in an effort to oust W.
Of course, that effort failed. The point was made, but the democratic process rumbled onward. And now I'm here, missing this season of strenuous statehood. I haven't seen a single debate or campaign ad (ilhamduilleh), and I've got this funny feeling that I'm being left out.
I was greatly cheered by this article in the NY Times today. It looks like there's hope - although, ahem, they seem to have overlooked the expatriate community in Cairo for their article.
I've followed a link in the article to votefromabroad. The cynic in me says that my vote doesn't count in the US, so why should it count from here? But I have to admit there's a naive voice in me that still thinks "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" is one of the greatest films ever made.
And it's good to know that the Republican party disenfranchises its voters overseas, even though the gerrymandering at home rolls on. Who knows how all of this is going to turn out ....
1 comment:
Amen to this and your previous post (part 1, I guess).
Post a Comment