Also inevitably, we screwed up. My friend's assistant had told him that the processions started at noon, so we got there around 12:30. Nothing was going on. We asked a nearby policeman, who looked surprised and said, "5 o'clock. 5."
Suddenly it's terribly hot here. Today it's in the 90s. And Thursday I got dehydrated and overheated, just like it was back in August and I was fresh off the plane. Consistency, thy name is Egypt.
Around 4:30 we appropriated a table on the balcony of a dreadful cafe right next to the Al Hussein mosque. When the procession started, the bazaar cats had these hysterical looks on their faces, like "what the hell????"
The procession consisted of Sufi orders from all over the world marching around the square. They sang, they chanted, they clapped, they drummed, they shouted. They were all incredibly different from each other, but the overwhelming feeling I got was one of crowding. Check out all these people!

A few groups got quite worked up, complete with music and gyrations of various sorts:
Slight anxiety aside, I was very glad to be out and about on a warm day, with friends, watching something I'd never seen before. And a year ago, I'd had no idea that that was how I'd be spending my next Holy Thursday.
No comments:
Post a Comment