I had to confront 5 - yes, five - students in my classes with plagiarism. They'd cut and pasted each other's homework assignment. Now it's bad enough that they did this, but they'd chosen to cheat wrong answers written with bad grammar and punctuation! The human brain is one of the greatest pattern-detection devices ever (even mine), so of course I was going to notice this. Anyway, I was very upset. I know this had nothing to do with me, but I felt like I'd been completey taken advantage of. Believe it or not, I'm not great with confrontation, and so I felt terrible the whole day, dealing with the students. At least I wasn't angry anymore.
And yes, I'm going to report them.
Then I came to home to my spotless house (Wednesday again, thank God for Fawzeya) and I had a whole rabbit waiting for me. With a head. And eyes in that head.
Incidentally, the faint of heart and/or stomach might consider stopping here.
I'd bought the rabbit - along with some onions and spices - yesterday at the organic kiosk run by AUC's desert development center. I figured, hey, why not - fresh organic rabbit, at about $3 a kilo. When the man handed me the package, all I could really see was pink flesh, so I thought, great, it's even butchered!
I got home this afternoon, feeling wretched, and realized I needed to take this rabbit apart. Fortunately, I'm a biologist, and I've got plenty of experience dismantling animals. Just not in my own kitchen. So I put on my apron, got out my biggest knife, and, well, got to.
I started by taking off the head, and let me tell you, once your food isn't looking at you anymore, it's much easier to deal with. I wasn't going to eat the head, so I figured, while I was at it, I'd make stock too. Into the stock pot went the head.
I quartered what was left of the little beast. India was unduly interested by this whole process, even after I pointed out to her the similarities between her and the little fuzzy I was dismantling. I snapped off as many of the ribs as I could get to easily, and dumped those in the stock pot too.
Then it was on to the marinade. I'd originally wanted to cook the rabbit with white wine and mustard, but I don't actually have any white wine. Egyptian wine is ... um, perhaps best used for cooking, but liquor stores are full and far between, and Egypt doesn't seem to produce dries. I finally settled on beer as my best option. Egyptian beer isn't the finest, so I don't feel bad about using it to cook (it's basically Heineken).
Now I've got half a bottle of beer in me, I've successfully dealt with a whole animal, and I still have a class to plan for tomorrow. All in all, this day has turned around nicely.
1 comment:
My rabbit's still sitting in my freezer.It's next weekend's project. But you have inspired me to thaw it.
Post a Comment