Right. So how did I spend my Thanksgiving this year, you ask?
I went looking for God.
No need to check your URL bars, my friends. I signed on for a faculty trip down to the Red Sea coast to visit the monasteries of St. Paul and St. Anthony. We stayed overnight in Ain Soukhna, a (reputedly) up-and-coming resort "town" south of Cairo on the Red Sea Coast, north of Hurghada.
St. Paul's and St. Anthony's are the two oldest monasteries in the world. According to legend, St. Paul, the first hermit, withdrew into a cave in the desert where his monastery now stands. After 90 years of being fed once a day by a raven bearing half a loaf of bread, St. Paul realized he was going to die. Simultaneously, an angel spoke to St. Anthony, another hermit, who crossed the desert and the mountains to find St. Paul, just in time to witness his death (the bird brought a whole loaf of bread that night). Anthony realized he couldn't possibly bury Paul on his own, so God sent two lions out of the desert to bury Paul. That, of course, is the short short version of the story. The two monasteries themselves have some of the oldest monastic paintings in the world.
After a rather outstanding lunch, most of us chose to make the ascent up the mountain to St. Anthony's cave. I checked my guidebook as we were heading up the hill, and my heart dropped. Apparently, the summit consists of 1200 stairs. I was not happy to hear this, given my experience with the Incas. Even in November, the sun was blazing, and it was a long, hot slog up to the top. I can't imagine tourists doing this in the summer! But slog I did, and though I don't think I'd ever need to do it again, I was glad I'd made the climb.
The cave itself was, well, a cave. (Shouted up the last flight of stairs: "Hey, guys, how is it?"
Shouted back down: "It's a cave!") Very small, with a very twisty, dark passage leading down into a niche that's been (somehow) outfitted with an icon and a small altar. Pilgrims leave notes written in the cave. Before the descent, I shared with the group some chili & highland whisky chocolate I had brought with me from Germany. Thanksgiving, indeed.The hotel, The Dome Marina Best Western (yes, I'm not joking) was decent but obviously recently constructed. It was right on the ocean, though, and dinner was quite good. I turned in early, as did most of the others.
The best part of the trip to St. Paul's, by far, was this photo op. This young man had just gotten himself a toy machine gun at the monastery gift shop (again, I'm not making this up), and was gleefully firing it while his mother took his picture with Jesus. Check out the look on his face!
We returned to the hotel, had lunch, and then horsed around on the beach for a few hours. It's amazing how relaxing that still can be for me. Plenty to see - there were lots of jellyfish on the sand, shells, snails, barnacles, crabs, and sea urchins. I had a very good time. Eventually it was time to get back on the bus and head back to Cairo. I was very glad I'd gone, as strange as it was for me to spend Thanksgiving away from my family. At least there were palm trees.
1 comment:
Ok, so I'm a little behind in reading your blog--I blame my MBA program. But, given your luck in general, the next time you go looking for God, you might consider getting blessed by the Pope. It lasts for eternity. Come to think of it, if you're planning to visit him, CALL ME! I could use that kind of luck, too!
Post a Comment