All in all, I thought the movie was surprisingly fast-paced ... basing my expectations on no sort of prior knowledge, of course. It did ... go on a bit, but overall I think I enjoyed it.
I'll break my random thoughts down into a few categories:
Things that were not quite the movie's fault:
- Something seemed to be wrong with the resolution on my copy; everyone's heads were cut off right at eyebrow level. While disconcerting, this doesn't actually detract from following the details of the movie.
- Prequels drive me crazy when the writers assume I know who all these people are and why every word that comes out of their mouths is significant.
- Ditto the inside jokes. I can tell when I'm supposed to get it, even when I don't.
- What is up with Nimoy's teeth??
- It's always good to see Harold.
- I'm glad to know that when I hold a high-powered, fast-paced position in a space agency, my miniskirt will always be pressed and I'll have time to apply my fake eyelashes.
- All joking aside, at least Chiquita wasn't running around in high heels. Knee-high boots, yes, but they were flats.
- Scottish accent. Hilarious.
- Why was Spock's mom wearing a hijab through the whole film?
- Is it really that hard to memorize the formula for the volume of a sphere?
- Why is it that the bad guys never say, "Hey wait, we're wearing these long leather coats with stand up collars, and our ship is unnecessarily black and spiky - we're the heroes here, right?"
- Where are all the brown folks? I see white, black, yellow, but no brownies (not to mention those craaaaaazy redskins). Hell, they even had a green chick in this movie - so where's the Indian guy, his Arab buddy, and the Native American girlfriend?
- Sorry, I must've dozed off - can anyone remind me why half-breeds shouldn't exist?
- "Damn it man, I'm a doctor, not a physicist!" (Only works in Egypt, I think.)
- "I should have killed you when I had the chance!" (If I had a dollar for every time I've wanted to say this ....)
- "It never occurred to me that space was moving!" (Good thing I'm not teaching cosmology anymore.)
2 comments:
Loved it...especially the brown guy,his arab buddy, and the Native American girlfriend!!! I know for sure when i do watch this movie I will be thinking of this blog.
Perhaps you should write a book! I wish my blog posts were so pithy! I have enjoyed reading your blog for the last year and I am looking forward to your comments on CA!
Post a Comment