This morning we said goodbye to our washing machine, which moved up the street to a friend's place. To be specific, the guys from the university showed up, disconnected my washing machine, moved it out of my flat ... and then dumped the machine outside my friend's flat and left. Without ringing the bell, let alone actually installing the machine. For some strange reason in Cairo the washing machines don't belong to the flat but to the tenant.
We tied up a few loose ends in Garden City, then headed to the EgyptAir office to deal with our aborted trip to Abu Simbel. More on this later - because our episode today was, by far, the strangest experience I've had in Egypt.
And if you've been following this blog, you know that means a lot.
Then we made our final pilgrimage to Islamic Cairo. First we headed back to Tentmaker's Bazaar to say goodbye to our friends there. In two years I've really come to value the Egyptian concept of shopping and shopkeeping. I've been buying from Mr Magdy (in the covered part of the bazaar) and Mr Ayman (just past the bazaar) for two years - and taking my friends to them. After about 6 months of this, I realized that both these gentlemen acted mortally offended if I passed by their shop without dropping in for a cup of tea and a chat. Even if I wasn't interested in buying, I was welcome in their store. I don't think I ever spent less than 20 minutes with either one of them, even if I didn't spend a cent.
So how much can two people buy in 30 minutes at Mr Ayman's store? Today: 19 scarves, 5 bags, and 2 big applique wall hangings. I'm especially pleased by the one up above, an unusual applique with a fish / Red Sea motif. Mr Ayman does great work; I frequently see new patterns in his store before any of the others in the bazaar, and usually a few weeks later I see them everywhere.
I'm not usually into these pictorial pieces; I prefer the calligraphy and abstract works. But I saw this fishy scene and knew I had to have it. Fortunately KC agreed, and we went ahead with our rather staggering purchase. In the end the damage came to LE 1000 (USD $178.60), and no matter how hard KC haggled, we couldn't budge Mr Ayman any further (although he did give us an extra bag of our choice).
We managed to talk our way into the fantastic Qalawun complex over in Palace Walk, precipitating a massive fight between the caretaker and a nearby policeman. Some baksheesh to both parties got us out of there in one piece, but it was a bit strange. The caretaker really really did not want us there, even though we were willing to pay and the site is technically open. Why would you spend so much money restoring a monument and then forbid anyone to see it?
Along the same lines, why would you have UNESCO and your government spend millions of dollars to save the temples at Abu Simbel and then arrange the flights so people can only spend an hour in the temples?
Ah, the mysteries of Egypt.
And Mr Ayman's deets:
Stitched Like an Egyptian
Ayman Molokhya
Original Appllique [sic] Art Work
18 El Khiamia st., Babziwela - Cairo
Mob: 012 100 6756
molokyaoneonly@yahoo.com
No comments:
Post a Comment