Monday, March 16, 2009

I did it!

I resigned from my job 30 seconds ago.

I feel all shaky. Not in a "relieved" sort of way, but more in a "holy shit" kind of way.

So it's official now. I'll be back in the US - for "good" - sometime in late June.

I'm sorry to be leaving Egypt because my experience has been so good. But with KC in California, and my career not exactly leaping ahead, I'm starting to question the long-term benefits of being here.

Lest you think I've jumped into this, I can assure you that KC and I have been agonizing over this for the last 2 months. I'm pretty sure my ulcer is back. I even had a talk with my boss about it; he was supportive of my decision to leave, but told me to think of anything - anything - that could keep me here.

No, I don't have a job in California, but I've been applying since last fall. Nothing's coming through. I think, like the rest of America, I'm going to need to face the prospect of unemployment in the near future. On the other hand, it's not like AUC is paying me so much money that it's worth staying here for the paycheck.

So I guess that's it.

And if you want a free place to stay in Cairo, looks like you'd better shake a leg.

No comments: