Boy, were we wrong about THAT. And a couple of other things too.
Istanbul in early April is cold, windy, and rainy. Apparently everyone but us knew that. Now we (and you) know it too. Plan accordingly. I was honestly shocked at how cold it was - apparently I'd conflated Istanbul and Cairo. It's about 85 degrees here right now at noon. We did have one nice sunny day, but otherwise, it was icky.
Enough complaining about money and weather! Once we actually got our feet under us and figured out what the hell was going on, we had a great time. Istanbul has an astounding amount to see, and it's all accessible by their fantastic public transport system. We didn't take a single taxi all weekend, not even between the airport and our flat in Beyoglu. Every day we crossed the bridge at least once, either on foot or by the tram, to get from Beyoglu to Sultanahmet.
I think we hit most of the major tourist sites: the Hagia Sophia (scaffolded floor to dome, but still stunning), the Blue Mosque (first picture above), the covered bazaar (lame after you've been to Cairo - our bazaaris here would eat those guys for breakfast), the spice bazaar (called the Egyptian bazaar, for some reason - surely not for the haggling), the Topkapi palace (fabulous and filled with some perplexing exhibits), the Archaeological Museum and the Museum of the Ancient Orient (which had absolutely astounding pieces, like the Code of Hammurabi and the Treaty of Kadesh, in cuineform, shoved into tiny displays). We went to the Sulimaniye Mosque, which had been billed to us as the greatest work of Ottoman architecture in the world - and it was closed for restoration!
As if the mosaics weren't enough, the end of the outer narthex is decorated with a series of luminous frescoes that have been compared in quality with the Giottos in Florence. Fortunately for us (unfortunately for our necks), the trusty guidebook also had descriptions and translations of every single fresco in the church! So it was back to the inner narthex, the outer narthex, and the chapel for our brave adventurers. It was an exhausting day physically and intellectually, but I've never seen anything quite like that museum.
At the recommendation of some friends here, we stayed in Beyoglu, which is the neighborhood across the Golden Horn from Sultanahmet. I'm very glad we did that. Beyoglu is being rapidly gentrified, which means at night it's chock full of young people hitting the many restaurants, cafes, stores, and bars all up and down the main drag. It's also stacked on the steep hill that rises from the Golden Horn, and it felt like we spent most of our day schlepping up and down that hill. When it was running we took the Tunnel, supposedly the second-oldest public underground system in the world after London. The Tunnel has precisely two stops: the bottom of the hill, and the top of the hill. Good enough for me.
That's all for me for now, I think. I'm waiting for the doorbell to ring - one of my dearest friends and her fiance are here to visit for a week. I'm sure I'll have lots more pictures to share in the upcoming days. As Homer would say, "SPRING BREAK!!! WOO-HOO!!"
No comments:
Post a Comment