I just got an email from my dad asking if everything's ok here. He's seen reports on the news of riots in Cairo.
Apparently all the action happened yesterday while I was out of town. Protestors across the nation gathered to show their discontent over skyrocketing food and fuel prices. Since the word went out ahead of time, the police were ready. And waiting.
On Wednesday I grabbed a newspaper in the airport and read for the first time about the issue. Today I heard from colleagues that classes were disrupted here at AUC yesterday due to the protest in the main square just outside the university.
Today I noticed that there wasn't much traffic on my way to work, but I didn't think much of it. As of right now, everything - at least in my part of town - is quiet.
I confess that I'm quite ignorant of the political situation here, since I don't own a television and I don't buy newspapers that often. I get most of my news from you guys - so keep me posted, won't you?
Monday, April 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment