The trip here to Israel was stunningly easy. Getting the tickets was tough.
We searched and searched online, trying desperately to find tickets to Tel Aviv. KC and I have been very kindly invited by a friend to give a few talks at Ben Gurion University. We wanted to fly here to avoid a potentially unpleasant but very doable 10 hour bus ride.
I finally caved and asked the AUC travel office to arrange the tickets. She got back to me quickly; the tickets could be purchased for the days we wanted to travel, but the tickets for the 1 hour trip would cost USD $450. Each.
In cash.
Where the hell was I going to come up with that kind of money in 24 hours? I toyed with a few unpleasant alternatives, all of them involving swallowing my dignity and asking various people for a loan. In the end I did the rational thing: I withdrew as much money as possible from my ATM card before it got shut down. I just made it.
More later, time to go ...
Monday, June 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment